Delivery Manager, Project and Portfolio Management, June 2015 to present
Think Project Solutions, Raleigh, NC
Translated customer contracts into solution deliverables, managed client relationships, and monitored contract execution for scope, budget, and schedule adherence. Collaborated with clients to plan and manage strategic initiatives, mentor staff, and implement best practice process improvements.
- Streamlined project intake, reduced work-in-progress, and increased project pipeline value by establishing a lean demand management process and portfolio simulation reporting solution in a Microsoft Project Server environment.
- Increased project throughput, optimized workload, and reduced resource allocation conflicts by implementing targeted business intelligence and dynamic project schedules.
- Rescued a distressed project by aligning stakeholder objectives, implementing an escalation process, negotiating a flexible scope with fixed duration, and timeboxing sprints and risk spikes.
Senior Project Manager, 2014-2015
ImageSoft, Southfield, MI
Converted statements of work (SOW’s) into custom, working business process management solutions by planning and managing projects, and leading teams of employees, vendors, and contractors to execute work plans. Built relationships with local clients as customer-facing project manager responsible for contract fulfillment and full system development lifecycle (SDLC) efforts.
- Rescued and rebuilt a valuable client relationship using a conflict resolution plan. Significantly increased client revenues by delivering a workflow solution to automate compliance, correspondence, and collection activities, resulting in a 1-year project payback period.
- Developed and executed an implementation roadmap to: increase visibility and data accuracy in the project portfolio; and maximize organizational capacity through the implementation of a skills-based resource matrix and resource management program.
- Streamlined public records requests, travel reimbursements, and HR management functions by leading a team of remote and offshore workers to deploy an enterprise content management system for a government client.
Infrastructure Portfolio Manager, 2014
MetLife, Cary, NC
- Managed the selection, prioritization, and governance of the Engineering project portfolio, encompassing 400 projects with $250,000,000 in capital spend and more than $60,000,000 in labor spend.
- Collaborated cross-functionally with department leads to manage enterprise infrastructure and architecture initiatives, and facilitated annual planning efforts and the portfolio management lifecycle.
- Coordinated the portfolio intake process, portfolio planning, portfolio governance, and portfolio analytics. Facilitated project reviews, change control, and project gating to ensure that projects in execution continued to meet their originally-approved value propositions.
Project Portfolio Manager, 2012-2013
BB&T, Raleigh, NC
- Led initiatives to deliver portfolio and project process maturity improvements with the objective of executing the right projects, at the right time, with the right people.
- Modeled and piloted a project portfolio management solution representing a budget of over $130,000,000 annually, which included demand intake, scoring, prioritization, analysis, and reporting.
- Matured the schedule management practice and mentored colleagues on scheduling techniques and best practices, resulting in schedules that were used for what-if analysis, forecasting, and earned value measurement.
- Implemented detailed scheduling templates, data models, and MS-Project customizations to support the roll-up of detailed schedules to the master project schedule.
Senior IT Project Manager, 2012
Progress Energy, Cary, NC
Partnered with business and technology leads to initiate, budget, plan, manage, and track software development, system integration, upgrade, IT, and functional area projects, ranging in size from $50,000 to $1,000,000. Full lifecycle and financial responsibilities, from resource recruitment through project closedown. Championed project reporting and process improvements to support merger activity with Duke Energy.
- Increased service revenues while reducing customer energy consumption by integrating a vendor product with an internal tablet application, deploying it to regional technicians, and enabling them to conduct energy efficiency checks in the field.
- Led the upgrade and remediation of a business-critical power management system. Prevented a system outage by discovering an unknown dependency using proactive stakeholder management and risk identification. Risk response effort resulted in a 15 percent cost reduction and 25 percent schedule compression.
- Utilized agile practices to deliver an emergency physical access system improvement used for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Force-on-Force drill during an aggressive, timeline-driven project.
Enterprise Project Manager, 2009-2012
NC Department of Revenue, Raleigh, NC
Managed employee, contractor, and vendor teams of up to 30 people to deliver strategic and highly visible projects of varying scope and size, including multi-million-dollar, multi-year programs.
- Saved more than $350,000 annually by decommissioning a legacy system and replacing it with a SaaS solution used to process over 25,000 high-dollar tax transactions per month.
- Spearheaded effort to consolidate all employee, vendor, and contractor work plans into a resource-loaded and leveled master project schedule used to manage, track, and report on over 300,000 hours of work spanning six releases. Schedule management, estimation, resourcing, and reporting innovations became department best practices.
- Led software development, web services, taxpayer outreach, system integration, procurement, data migration, and process improvement projects on the 4-year tax modernization program. Early wins resulted in collection increases of more than $10,000,000.
- Architected and customized Microsoft Project Server 2007 installation used for project investment, schedule management, and resource management.
Product Manager / Release Manager, 2006-2009
Swirl Mobile, Raleigh, NC
- Coordinated release content and effort, managed the release schedule, and measured and monitored progress for new product development offerings and service engagements.
- Developed product vision and maintained product roadmap for prioritization of new features and changes. Guided market launch of products by outlining value proposition, defining product differentiation, and enabling online marketing efforts.
Applications Team Lead / Project Manager, 2001-2006
Computer Sciences Corporation, Research Triangle Park, NC
Collaborated with department leads to plan, prioritize, and monitor application infrastructure initiatives used to facilitate key contract execution. Managed the project and product backlogs, coordinated work streams, and led a team of tools specialists to deliver custom and off-the-shelf application solutions.
- Successfully deployed a 10,000-person divisional portal by leading a global, virtual work team. Effort encompassed data migration, application integration, knowledge management enablement, and process integration. Business transformation efforts resulted in double the average company utilization.
- Evangelized and managed the effort to produce a workflow and document management application used to control baseline procedure sets and assist teams with managing projects, eliminating the need for over 40 procedure repositories and saving $400,000 annually in training costs.
- Analyzed knowledge management and tools infrastructure, identified business and systems requirements, prepared design specifications, and developed enterprise portal components to improve the corporate portal ROI. Preference-sharing innovation eliminated duplicate content maintenance across communities of interest, leading to estimated savings of nearly $150,000 per year. Aggregation and randomization innovations provided customized views into multiple collaborative areas, eliminating daily web browsing for all employees.
- Product Owner / Business Analyst, Mobius Group, Research Triangle Park, NC
- Special Services Specialist, Charles Schwab & Co., Orlando, FL
- Financial Consultant, Smith Barney, Pittsburgh, PA