Experienced project and portfolio management leader with a strong bias for action. Passionate about aligning business strategy with project execution to maximize project investment performance. Special skills include:
- Project Portfolio Management: experienced at constructing efficient portfolios and controlling project investment through governance, from demand intake through project post-mortem.
- Business Strategy and Execution: skilled at defining product, organization, and departmental strategy, and aligning that strategy with development and execution.
- Enterprise Project Management: process-driven, quantitative style to help teams focus on what matters most.
- Master Project Scheduling: expert at master scheduling and detailed scheduling, favoring dynamic models used for forecasting and trend analysis.
- Performance Measurement: skilled at proactively monitoring projects and portfolios to provide visible, accurate knowledge, enabling organizations to see around the upcoming turns in the road.
- Resource Management: experienced at maximizing the value of organization capacity, while uncovering gaps between skills and demand.
- Microsoft Project Server: expert at constructing programs to implement and optimize resource management, portfolio management, and enterprise project management utilizing the MS Project Server stack.
Education and Training
Coursework towards Masters of IT, Virginia Polytechnic and State University
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Clarion University of Pennsylvania, 1995
- PMI Scheduling Professional (PMI-SP), 2011
- Project Management Professional (PMP), 2003
- ITIL Foundations v.2011, 2013
- Microsoft Specialist: Microsoft Project 2013; Microsoft Project Server 2013
- Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Microsoft Project 2007, 2010; Microsoft Project Server 2007, 2010
- Sun Certified Mobile Application Developer (SCMAD), 2006
- Sun Certified Web Component Developer (SCWCD), 2003
- Sun Certified Java Programmer (SCJP), 2002
- Certified Lotus Notes Professional Developer (CLP), 2001
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP, expired), 2000
ImageSoft, Inc., Raleigh, NC
Project Management Consultant, July 2014 – present
Manage client-facing consulting engagements for an award-winning workflow and enterprise content management firm.
- Developed and executed an implementation roadmap to improve the professional services organization’s project management maturity, and increase visibility and data accuracy in the project portfolio.
- Rearchitected the Project Server implementation and business intelligence to support organizational requirements.
- Implemented a skills-based resource pool to maximize the value of organization capacity, while uncovering gaps between skills and demand.
MetLife, Raleigh, NC
Portfolio Manager, February 2014 – July 2014
Managed the selection, prioritization, and governance of the Engineering project portfolio, consisting of over 400 projects, totaling in excess of $60,000,000 in labor spend and $250,000,000 in capital spend.
- Collaborated with departmental leads to plan, manage, and report on MetLife infrastructure projects and operational maintenance initiatives.
- Facilitated the portfolio intake process, portfolio planning, portfolio governance, and portfolio analytics.
- Managed project reviews, change control, and project gating to ensure that projects in execution continue to meet their approved value propositions.
BB&T, Raleigh, NC
Project Portfolio Manager, October 2012 – November 2013
Provided consulting services to design and deploy significant portfolio and project process maturity improvements with the objective of executing the right projects, at the right time, with the right people.
- Deployed Microsoft Project Server 2010 to manage project selection, project schedules, and organization resources.
- Modeled the intake of infrastructure project demand representing a budget of $130,000,000 annually.
- Created forecast scheduling training and mentored project managers on schedule management best practices.
- Piloted a proof of concept project portfolio management solution, including demand intake, project scoring and prioritization, portfolio analysis modeling, and portfolio reporting.
- Implemented detailed scheduling templates, data models, and MS-Project customizations to support the roll-up of detailed schedules to the master project schedule.
Progress Energy, Raleigh, NC
IT Project Manager, January 2012 – October 2012
Managed multiple small projects ranging in size from $50,000 to $1,000,000. Full lifecycle and financial responsibilities, from resource recruitment through project closedown.
- Led an upgrade and remediation project for the Carolinas Outage Management System, a business critical software application. Re-planned and compressed the project to accommodate business needs, and decreased the project cost by 15 percent while compressing the schedule by more than 25 percent.
- Delivered a physical access system improvement to be used for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s Force-on-Force drill. This emergency project was chartered with an extremely aggressive timeframe, and was delivered exactly on time, while using less than 5 percent of the risk reserve.
- Led project teams to update internal financial systems in response to Progress Energy’s merger with Duke Energy.
- Led new product development team during a project to integrate an external software product and rebate calculator to be used for mobile business energy efficiency checks for the Progress Energy Florida operation.
NC Department of Revenue, Raleigh, NC
Enterprise Project Manager, 2009 – January 2012
- Project manager of a 30-person project team consisting of full-time employees, contractors, and vendor staff, both on-site and remote. Decommissioned a software / hardware solution, and replaced it with a SaaS solution used to process over 25,000 high-dollar tax transactions per month, at a savings of more than $350,000 annually.
- Deputy project manager responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Department’s 4-year, $79,000,000 tax system replacement project. Project included data warehousing, collections case management, integrated tax processing, SAS reporting, web services, data conversion, and redesigned roles and business processes.
- Matured the schedule management practice and mentored colleagues on scheduling techniques and best practices, resulting in schedules that were used for what-if analysis, forecasting, and earned value measurement.
- Architected and customized Microsoft Project Server 2007 installation used for project investment, schedule management, and resource management.
Swirl Mobile LLC, Raleigh, NC
Product Manager and Principal Engineer, 2006 – 2008
Led a team of high-performing consultants, ensuring that delivery teams met project objectives while utilizing industry best practices.
- Managed the product roadmap of the company’s flagship mobile application, and led the development team in the technical implementation of the roadmap.
- Coordinated the work of internal consultants, sub-contractors, and offshore resources to ensure that projects were delivered according to prescribed governance standards, and that initiatives met budget and business objectives in support of company goals.
Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC), Research Triangle Park, NC
Project Management and Solution Delivery, 2003 – 2006
Senior Programmer Analyst, 2001 – 2003
- Led a cross-functional, virtual work team to successfully deploy the divisional portal to more than 10,000 employees. Effort encompassed data migration, application integration, knowledge management enablement, and process integration.
- Managed solution delivery team to analyze knowledge management and tools infrastructure, identify business and systems requirements, prepare design specifications, and develop enterprise portal improvements to improve the corporate portal ROI.
- Managed project and led the development effort to produce a document management solution and graphical workflow application used to control baseline procedure sets and assist project managers with planning, executing, and controlling projects. Consolidated nearly 40 procedure repositories, eliminating development, storage, and maintenance costs on each.
- Managed a talented team of application developers to deliver solutions used to facilitate contract execution and ensure strategic contract objectives were met.
Mobius Group, Research Triangle Park, NC
Requirements and Product Design Analyst, 1999 – 2000
Charles Schwab and Co., Inc., Orlando, FL
Special Services Specialist, 1997 – 1999
Smith Barney, Inc., Pittsburgh, PA
Financial Consultant, 1995 – 1997
Software: Microsoft Project Server, Microsoft Project Professional, CA Clarity PPM, Compuware Changepoint, Primavera P6, SharePoint Enterprise, SharePoint Designer, WBS Chart Pro, MS-Office
Methodology: PMI, SDLC, CMMI, Scrum, Agile Project Management, Waterfall, ITIL
Programming and Reporting: SharePoint application development, Project Server application development, SQL Server Reporting Services, MS Business Intelligence Studio, MS Visual Studio, Android Studio, Eclipse, C#, .NET, Java, Android, QlikView
Strengths Finder: Strategic, Learner, Input, Focus, Achiever